This post contains links to products that I may receive compensation from at no additional cost to you. View my Affiliate Disclosure page here.
The Summer Sail by Wendy Francis is an enjoyable read that might encourage you to call up some of your old friends from college. The following book club questions will have spoilers so if you haven’t read the novel yet, check out my preview and review first.
The story centers on three college friends reuniting for a wedding anniversary. While they’re still very close, they do each have their own secrets that eventually come to the forefront. The most devastating secret came from Abby. I thought Francis did a good job of showcasing the many emotions that are bound to arise with getting that type of diagnosis.
I actually could see a sequel for this story, what happens to Abby, Caroline’s wedding, Lee dating again and if Lacey dumps her college boyfriend.
Book Club Questions for The Summer Sail
- Have you ever taken a cruise? How was it similar and different from this cruise described in the book?
- Why do think the author chose a cruise as the setting?
- Out of the four perspectives, which one do you relate to the most? Which one the least?
- The three friends are quite different, how do they complement each other?
- Which storyline do you think came through the strongest? What about the weakest?
- Why do you think Caroline was so insistent that if Javier doesn’t propose on the cruise, she’ll break up with him? Did you agree with her or think it’s too harsh? Were you surprised he did planning on proposing all along?
- Lee and Lacey are very much opposites. Lee wants her daughter to focus on a career while Lacey dreams of being a wife and mother. Do you think this was Lacey’s way to rebel against her mother? Where do you see Lacey after college?
- What do you think the women learned on this trip? How will it impact them moving forward?
- Strong female friendships is a huge theme of this novel. What other themes did you pick up on?
- Let’s talk about where we think the characters go from here. What would you want to see in a sequel?
Next on my TBR (to be read) list
By the way, if you’d like to tag along with my latest reads, follow me on Instagram!