This post contains links to products that I may receive compensation from at no additional cost to you. View my Affiliate Disclosure page here.
The Summer List by Amy Mason Doan is about the imperfect nature of lifelong friendships. The following book club questions will have spoilers so if you haven’t read the novel, check by preview and review first.
The story is about two high school best friends who have a devastating falling out. They are brought back together 17 years later for one last scavenger hunt. With a twist: this time, the list of clues leads to the settings of their most cherished summer memories.
Book Club Questions for The Summer List
- Let’s talk about the main characters Laura and Casey. In what ways are they similar and different?
- What did you think about the setting (small lakeside California town) and having it take place during the summers? Did it remind you of your own childhood?
- What did you think about the chapters set in their childhood? Did it keep your interest or did you want it to focus more on the present?
- Did you do scavenger hunts as a kid?
- Let’s talk about Alex, her backstory and how she interacted with the high school kids.
- Identity is a big theme of this novel, Laura has yearning to know more about her real mom while finding it hard to relate to her religious adopted mom. What are other ways in this novel that identity comes up?
- We learn that Casey tragically has ALS. Did you suspect that she was suffering from an illness before she revealed what it was?
- Let’s talk about the first love romance between JB and Laura. Were you happy they came back together?
- So, we find out why Laura left town and never looked back. She incorrectly thought JB and Alex were having an affair. How do you think you would have reacted if you were Laura? Would you have confronted them or do you think the 18-year-old version of you would have done the same thing?
- Laura and Casey become even more connected than just friendship as they share the same father. What did you think of all those revelations?
Next on my TBR (to be read) list
By the way, if you’d like to tag along with my latest reads, follow me on Instagram!