This post contains links to products that I may receive compensation from at no additional cost to you. View my Affiliate Disclosure page here.
The Alice Network by Kate Quinn is an absorbing tale of two unlikely women brought together with a story full of intrigue, suspense and some heart too. The following book club questions will have spoilers so if you haven’t read the novel yet, check out my preview and review first.
This is one of the best historical fiction books I’ve read. Between learning something new (that the Alice Network existed) to an engaging plot with fully developed characters, it’s a standout. The story centers on two women—a female spy recruited to the real-life Alice Network in France during World War I and an unconventional American socialite searching for her cousin in 1947. While the story takes place in two different timelines, it all eventually comes together in an exciting way.
Let’s get into the book club questions.
- Did you know about the Alice Network prior to reading this? What was your impression of the day-to-day descriptions of working as a spy? Do you think you could have done it?
- The book is told from Charlie and Eve’s perspectives. Which time period and perspective did you enjoy more? How did the two storylines complement each other?
- Female friendship is a big theme of the novel. Let’s first discuss the relationship between Charlie and Eve and how it evolve at the end.
- Now let’s talk about the relationships within the Alice Network, specifically between Eve and Lilli. What did Lilli teach Eve about being a spy? What else did she teach her?
- Eve’s spy journey becomes very complicated when she becomes Rene’s lover. While Eve hates him, it becomes complicated when they’re intimate. What was your impression of that relationship? How did Rene change once he found out Eve was a spy? Did he ever get over Eve? What did you think about their last interactions? Did Eve and Lilli finally get justice?
- Charlie, Eve and Finn each have their own secrets that slowly come out as the book goes on. What is it about their past and secrets that made them kindred spirits?
- Both Eve and Charlie are seen as too modern for their era. Let’s talk about ways they are ahead of their time.
- Now let’s discuss the romantic relationships: Finn and Charlie and Eve and Captain Cameron. How are they similar and different?
- Do you think this should be made into a movie? Let’s discuss which actresses and actors would be perfect for the roles.
Next on my TBR (to be read) list
By the way, if you’d like to tag along with my latest reads, follow me on Instagram!