The Masterpiece by Fiona Davis is a fantastic novel about strong women all in the backdrop of the Grand Central Terminal in New York City. The following book club questions will have spoilers so if you haven’t read the novel yet, check my preview and review first.
The story takes readers into the glamorous lost art school within Grand Central Terminal, where two very different women, fifty years apart, strive to make their mark on a world set against them.
Let’s get into the book club questions.
- What did you think about the setting in the Grand Central Terminal? What about the two time periods (the ’20s and ’70s)?
- Let’s discuss the ways that Clara and Virginia are very different. In what ways are they similar? Do you think they’ll remain in contact?
- There’s lots of descriptions of the art world. What stood out to you in those sections dedicated to crafting art? Do you have a favorite artist?
- Why do you think Clara was interested in commercial illustrations as opposed to other art? Was it because of the money, trying to prove herself in a man’s world or was it just general interest?
- Let’s talk about Clara’s relationships with Oliver and Levon. Do you think she was better suited for one or the other? Would she have lasted with either one of them or do you think she would have ended up on her own no matter what?
- What was your initial suspicions on what happened to Clara? Were you surprised she was still alive?
- We found out that after Levon was killed, she moved back to Arizona to become an art teacher. Why do you think she made such a drastic choice? Do you think it was the right move for the time? Why did she stay away from New York City for so long?
- Why did Virginia decide to take the watercolor? What does it represent to her? What would you have done?
- Let’s discuss Virginia’s drive to help save the Grand Central Terminal. Why do you think she made it such a personal mission? Do you agree with her that structures like that should be restored and preserved?
- How did Virginia change from the beginning of the novel until the end? What’s next for her?
- In the end, Clara and other artists got the credit they deserved. What did you think about the ending?
By the way, if you’d like to tag along with my latest reads, follow me on Instagram!