This post contains links to products that I may receive compensation from at no additional cost to you. View my Affiliate Disclosure page here.
The Glitch by Elisabeth Cohen is an entertaining look at a workaholic CEO in the tech start-up world. But there’s more than meets the eye with this one. The following book club questions will have spoilers so if you haven’t read the novel yet, check out my preview and review first.
This one was strange. And I mean that in the best way possible. It takes off right from the start when Shelley’s daughter goes missing. When she’s more focus on how it will impact her work, we know right away this is not a traditional character. I call Shelley an unlikeable yet likable character. She exhibits plenty of selfish behavior but we do see the huge pressure she’s under and how she’s worked her way to the top. When we find out more about her background—such as being struck by lightning—it does flesh out her character more.
The strangeness comes in play when Shelley is apparently face-to-face with her younger self, who still goes by Michelle. I love how she just accepts it at first. Until it starts to become apparent this isn’t who she thought it was.
Book Club Questions for The Glitch
- What was your immediate impression of Shelley? Did it change as the book went on?
- Why do you think Shelley is so focus on work? Is it simply an inherent quality or is there more to it?
- Shelley believes the lightning strike completely changed her direction in life. Do you agree? How would she be different if that never happened?
- What were your thoughts when Shelley first meets Michelle? Did you think it really was her younger self or did you catch on it was a scam right away?
- Do you think Shelley had some type of mental breakdown that lead her to believe Michelle was really her?
- When does Shelley begin to realize she doesn’t have it all?
- What was your impression of the tech start-up world as portrayed in the book?
- So once Shelley finds out Michelle was in fact hired by people who want to steal one of the wearables design, Shelley still welcomes Michelle in her house. Why would she do this?
- What did you think about the section in Malaysia?
- If the Couch wearables was real, would you use it? Why or why not?
- What was your impression of how the story concluded? Do you think Shelley will remain without a job for long? Will she connect more with her husband and kids?
- Let’s talk about the significance of the title, The Glitch.
- When Shelley is talking with Michelle, she views her as still young and pure. Say you somehow came across your younger self. What would that person think of the current you?
- This is almost a caution tale of the need for a true work-life balance. Do you think with the abundance of technology that it’s too hard to achieve now? How do you work to maintain it?
What is your book club reading next?
If you haven’t already, let’s connect on Instagram!