The story follows a woman named Fixie who earned her name by always “fixing” problems. After her father passes away, he leaves a home goods store to the family and it’s mainly Fixie and her mother keeping it afloat. Her other two siblings, Nicole and Jake, don’t have much interest in helping out. So, Fixie has grown accustom to not saying no and when a stranger asks her to watch his laptop for a moment, she not only agrees—she ends up saving it from certain disaster. To thank Fixie for her quick thinking, the computer’s owner, Sebastian, an investment manager, scribbles an IOU on a coffee sleeve and attaches his business card.
Let’s get into the discussion questions.
- Let’s talk about Fixie’s name! How did she earn that nickname? Why do you think she always feels so compelled to fix things? Fixe believes at the beginning that fixing things is her flaw. Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
- Fixie is quite different from her siblings Jake and Nicole. What did you think about the siblings? Did they have any redeeming qualities? Did you buy Jake’s turnaround at the end or did you think it wasn’t genuine? If you have siblings, what’s the dynamic like in your family?
- Why was it so hard for Fixie to stand up to them, especially Jake? What do you think their dynamic will be like going forward? Will they both revert back to old ways?
- Fixie has been in love (or lust) with Ryan since she was 10 years old. Why do you think she developed a crush on him? Can you relate to crushing on the wrong person?
- Did you think Ryan was at all genuine or could you tell he was just using her?
- Let’s talk about the meet-cute between Seb and Fixie! What did you think about their first meeting and the IOU?
- Why did Fixie’s siblings take an interest in the store when their mom went on holiday? What do you think Fixie should have done instead of allowing them to try and change things?
- Fixie goes to Seb to redeem the IOU and surprises him by asking if he’ll hire Ryan. What do you think Seb thought her IOU would be?
- When did you think Fixie and Seb started to really develop feelings for each other?
- When did Fixie start to gain confidence? Do you think she’ll be more self-assured going forward?
- Fixie and Seb’s big argument really stemmed from a misunderstanding about Ryan. Did you like the ending and how they got back together? Do you think they are in it for the long haul?
- If they make a movie or TV version of this novel, who do you think should play the main characters?
- Have you read any other of Sophie Kinsella’s books? How did this one stack up to those?
More women’s fiction
Women’s fiction will always have a place in my heart! Here’s some other recommendations for your book club:
One Day in December by Josie Silver is a sweet and charming love story about chance and fate This one takes a look at the idea of “love at first sight.” Some people swear by it while others believe it’s impossible. Well, in the case of One Day in December, it can happen but it doesn’t make a for a smooth love story by any means. We first meet Laurie in 2008 when she’s fresh out of college and working a disappointing job at a hotel where in reality, she wants to be a journalist. She’s boarding a bus during the holiday season when she looks at the window and sees a man she instantly knows is the one. Their eyes meet and then the bus pulls away. Laurie spends a year scanning every bus stop and cafe in London for him. Instead they “reunite” at a Christmas party, when her best friend Sarah introduces her new boyfriend to Laurie. It’s Jack, the man from the bus. Order the book on Amazon here. Check out my book club questions here.
When Life Gives You Lululemons by Lauren Weisberger revisits many beloved characters from The Devil Wears Prada series. This one is a standalone and you’ll meet plenty of other characters, too. This one focuses on the character of Emily, the other assistant to Miranda Priestly, which was a star-making role for Emily Blunt. The story features the perspectives of Emily, her friend Miriam, a powerful attorney turned stay-at-home suburban mom and Karolina, a former supermodel, arrested for a DUI despite not being drunk. The women band together to clear Karolina’s name and reputation but they all learn some life lessons along the way. Order the book on Amazon here. Check out my book club questions here.