This post contains links to products that I may receive compensation from at no additional cost to you. View my Affiliate Disclosure page here.
The Banker’s Wife by Cristina Alger is a twisty read set in the world of international finance. The following book club questions will have spoilers so if you haven’t read the book yet, read my preview and review first.
The Banker’s Wife is both a high-stakes thriller and an inside look at the personal lives in the intriguing world of finance. There was much about this that felt true-to-life and believable, but still plenty of adventure and thrilling scenes that make for a well-written suspense story.
Let’s get into the book club questions.
- The Banker’s Wife is told from the perspectives of Annabel, Marina and Zoe. What did you think about this narrative style?
- What was your initial impression of the three women? Did that change at all as the book went on? Did you like one of their storylines more than the others?
- The women are doubted by men in many ways: Swiss United doesn’t expect Annabel to investigate Matthew’s death, Grant and his father assume Marina will give up her job for a life of wealth and no one seems to expect anything of Zoe. Let’s talk about the ways they bypassed expectations and proved themselves as capable women.
- Zoe’s storyline goes in an unexpected direction but she experiences plenty of growth and depth. What did you think about the section where Swiss United tried to get her to seduce Matthew? Why was that a turning point for her? Were you surprised at her role as a whistleblower?
- What did you think happened to Matthew? Did you think he was really dead? What did you think when we find out he’s alive?
- What was your impression of Grant? Did you think he would be different from his father or did you assume he was just as corrupt?
- Let’s talk about the thrills: Zoe and Julian’s car case in the mountains, Marina outrunning an assassin and Annabel one-on-one with Jonas. What was your favorite thrilling scene? Did you think that any of those women might not survive the book?
- There’s lots of financial talk about offshore banking. Did you like those sections? Did you feel you learned something or did it become tedious?
- Let’s talk about what we think happens next to these three women.
- This book is going to be adapted into a TV series. How do you think this story will play out on the series? What do you hope they include? Let’s cast the leading roles: Annabel, Marina, Zoe, Matthew, Grant, Owen, James.
- What would you say are some of the key lessons of this book?
Next on my TBR (to be read) list
By the way, be sure to follow me on Instagram for lots of book-related content!